Jumbuck Pastoral History


Mr H.P. MacLachlan had proficiency with stock, particularly sheep and horses, together with a clever ability to ride out the extraordinary drought of 1895 to 1902 which helped him to succeed.

In the mid to late 1920’s H.P. MacLachlan put up £16,000 to help his keen and energetic son, B.H. MacLachlan, pioneer and develop a substantial area of pastoral country so far disregarded, in the North Western pastoral region of South Australia near Tarcoola.

H.P.MACLACHLAN 1880 - 1920


The rate of development by B.H. MacLachlan was hindered by the Great Depression in the early 1930’s but even so, 250km of vermin proof dog fencing had been erected by 1939, when war broke out and H.P. MacLachlan died. After the 1939 to 1945 war, buoyant wool prices allowed B.H. (as he was known), to accelerate and expand the development program which culminated in Mulgathing and Commonwealth Hill Stations shearing 100,000 merino sheep between them in the early 1950’s.

B.H.MACLACHLAN 1920 - 1960


Further expansion took place in the 1960’s when the third generation of family, H.G. MacLachlan, started development of several leases on the Nullarbor Plain near Rawlinna which had been opened up for selection by the Western Australian Government in 1962. Difficulties with water at 400 feet and the necessity for dog proof fencing made the development expensive, but today Rawlinna station shears 110,000 merinos and accounts for one of the three largest sheep stations in Australia.

Since then, Jumbuck Pastoral has purchased stations in South Australia and New South Wales, making them one of the biggest private wool growers in the country.

In the early 1990’s the opportunity was taken to invest in beef production in the West Kimberley region of Western Australia. These stations focus on the live export market and turn off 10,000 head annually, shipping predominantly from the port of Broome to the Middle East or South East Asian ports.

H.G.MACLACHLAN 1960 - 2009


After leaving school, Jock spent a year at ‘Nabinabah’ in the Hunter Valley working horses and Braford cattle, followed by a year on the Barkly Tableland at Rockhampton Downs with AA Co as a Stockman. He completed two years at Orange Agricultural College studying Farm Management. A valued 12 months in rural Argentina was followed by a year at Rawlinna, including some time at Madura Plains Station. Jock then spent 10 years managing Mt Victor Station before taking up a company directorship at Jumbuck House in 2002.

Jock became joint Managing Director with Callum in 2010.

J.H.MACLACHLAN 2009 - TO DATE


When Callum left school he spent a year jackarooing between ‘Mulgathing’ in the North West pastoral region of South Australia and ‘Rossgole’ in the Hunter Valley, NSW. He then studied at university, graduating in 1994 with degrees in Commerce and Law, before making the Kimberley home for the next seven years with valuable experience gained at ‘Fossil Downs’ and ‘Meda’ stations, prior to running the stock camp and managing at ‘Blina’.

In 2002 Callum joined the administrative team as director, becoming joint Managing Director with his brother Jock in 2010.

C.H.MACLACHLAN 2009 - TO DATE